June 12, 2011

I started early took my dog and visited the sea...

Flash. Best Sous Chef Ever
Cheese Toast Fanatic
Outdoor Dog
Patch and Cookies
Maybe there is no sea. But I did start early this morning browning butter for muffins with Patch's help. He always helps in the kitchen. And secretly wishes something tasty would fall from the kitchen counter. I can't write about Patch without thinking of Flash. He was the ultimate kitchen dog and will be forever missed. Cooking these last few weeks without him under foot has been an adjustment I would have rather not had. In fact, I refuse to eat cheese toast in any form ever again. Cheese toast to Flash was better than any gourmet dish. He could be sound asleep and hear you take it out of the oven. No one in the house had it without him. If I could go back in time, I would make him cheese toast every day. I would live off of cheese toast and games of throwing the tennis ball and giving head rubs.

Flash was my childhood dog, so I learned to make just about everything with his unfailing assistance. Flash was there for the era of excessive scone baking, and he would show his support by the dusting of all purpose flour on his black ears. At one point, I had many different varieties of scones all stocked in the freezer. There were cranberry nut scones, blueberry scones, chocolate scones and some other kind that I can’t seem to remember. I think that was all I was eating for a while.  He became a super cheerleader the first time I cooked tenderloin in the crockpot, and impatiently danced on the linoleum while it warmed the house on a winter’s day. He cleaned up spilled milk from rice pudding explosions, dutifully licked away bits of cream sauces, and barked ferociously at the possessed “blender.” Sometimes he would hide hunks of carrots or pieces of wilted lettuce in his bed. It was as if he might eat them if there was ever a period of rationing or if I ever forgot to feed him. I never did. 

Patch still helps, but he has always been more of an outdoor dog. Sometimes I imagine what my dogs would look like if they were people and not dogs…doesn’t everyone do that? Okay, well maybe that is not normal, but that is not the point. Patch would be the tough guy with the truck slinging 2 x 4s over his shoulder every day and spending as little time as possible inside when the weather is nice or even if it isn’t. Flash on the other hand would have channeled Cary Grant or Clark Gables; he might of even had little wire rimmed glasses and an affinity for fine wines. And cheese toast. But do you get my point? Flash was a foodie. Patch eats cereal. There is a difference. 

I can see totally see Cary Grant
I am so excited that Abi and I are now blogging! My first post had to be about Flash. My first dog.  


Talk soon,
Sara

1 comment: